Thursday, January 11, 2007

My Foundation...

I've been so inspired reading chickadoodle with all the symbolism Andrea finds in her life... I've been looking at my own foundation differently, and here's what I see:
This is my crafting room/studio. I have a hard time calling it a studio because studios are used by artists, and I haven't quite claimed that title for myself as yet. I have a burning neeeeeed to create, I love the creations that flow out of me... but does that make me an artist? I haven't quite gotten there yet. Anyway, this is my space, but it's frequently taken over by everything we don't want in the rest of our living space. It's doubling as my winter greenhouse just now (for my beloved geranium collection) which seriously cramps my space (you can't really tell, but my serger is SURROUNDED by plants).
This is the storage area between the kids' play area and the new TV area (I put the TV downstairs yesterday as everytime weeP looked at it in the main living room, he begged for it to be turned on). The baskets were a great idea, but what is up with all that stuff on top? You know I look at it all and there really isn't a thing I could happily toss. It just needs to be better organized. While we were at my brother's in Alberta, I was so inspired by how well organized their house is. They have SO much stuff in there, all the treasures of a very full-lived life, all the reminders of their lost children so lovingly and beautifully displayed. I was inspired because I live in constant guilt of being a packrat. I constantly look at my heaps of things, that I'm too attached to, and think that I really should be getting rid of it all. But looking around in my brother's beautiful home, I realized that I just need to embrace my stuff and get better at displaying the things I want out, and storing the things I don't. So, that's my mission for the next few days...

And this is the kids' play area. It mostly works realy well, but there are lots of things I can do to get it better organized too. What is that pink and purple box, you ask? That's their craft table covered in an old bedskirt (I never throw anything away, and you know what? It makes the PERFECT fort! Just the right amount of dark and soft and size...)

This is the other side. We are so lucky to have a sink in their little area! But you can't see it, can you? Too must stuff piled around. Watch this space... It's about to get transformed. hee! Exciting! And I LOVE the image of what it does for the foundation in my life when I clean up the basement in my home. love love xo

4 comments:

Dragonflydownunder said...

Im waiting with bated breath!!
You have such a great area to play in!! Basements are so useful. We dont have one.

Andrea said...

And I love your little wood heater down there, too. I look forward to seeing what you do, too. Maybe claiming the title of 'artist' for yourself has something to do with claiming your space?

Mary-Sue said...

hee! love reading your comments. feel encouraged. thanks!

Anonymous said...

So funny that my hubby and I spent last weekend transforming our basement rooms into play spaces, and here you are!!! I had just suggested that we get a blackboard - love yours!! Good luck with your project. My triumph was turning our office into a "kitchen" and "library" - now if I could only find the paper clips....